Friday, August 22, 2008

{ Stopped Dead in My Tracks }



This has been me for the last 6 days...stuck in bed. On Sunday the 17th I awoke with a fever that kept going up and up and up. By 2:30 my family and one persistent neighbor (thanks, Laura!) had convinced me that with a temp above 103 degrees it was time to go to the ER. (In our community we have no weekend walk in clinics and a ferry ride to the mainland, well, that's for life threatening stuff. Our little ER has about 4 rooms and it was our county fair weekend to boot. But they were awesome. As my ability to breathe became slightly impaired due to the ever rising fever, they were on it. IV's, oxygen, chest xrays, the works. After several hours of IV fluids, drugs and antibiotics they sent me home. I slept for the first two days, waking only to the gentle cajoling of my family to drink or take medicine. Today, I feel much better but am still a bit weak.

My clients have been great about my mandatory week off. My tribe has rallied, delivering food, humor and love. It turns out that I had not one, but two infections. The secondary one was the one that brought me to my knees. My nurse practitioner scolded me yesterday for letting the primary infection go unchecked for so long but I honestly didn't even notice symptoms. My sister wrote me a lovely email yesterday reminding me that we are cut from the same type A personality cloth of our mother and that if we don't learn to stop and slow down ourselves, the Universe will do it for us. She was absolutely right and this was a good wake up call.

Time for meds with a big glass of juice and wee rest on the couch. Oh, and look three months of Food and Wine, Victoria and Romantic Homes magazines await!
~Steph

3 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

So glad you are feeling better! :) The universe slammed you a good one upside the noggin!

August 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Rob at Kintropy said...

Sorry to hear you're sick (particularly that sick). Although we're a state away, let us know if there is something we can do for you.

August 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh my my ! I hope you are well on the way to total recovery and that you will take better care of yourself. I'm glad your family and friends stepped in when they did.

Okay, so enjoy the magazines and don't try to get back in full swing too soon, y'hear?

((())

August 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home