Tuesday, August 12, 2008

{ The Power of Value }

I've received a few emails from close friends expanding on the post below so I thought I'd take the conversation here on the blog one step further. My post about knowing your worth goes deeper than knowing your monetary contributions to this world. Don't get me wrong, knowing what you are worth is necessary but it's also just the first step to being powerful economically. Let me paint a picture from the world of micro business ownership and I'm sure you can extrapolate it to personal finances as well.

In a traditional business model a woman might be asked how much her company grosses or nets in any given time period, let's say a month. In my new model for instance, at home e-tailing a micro business, I can imagine that a woman might proudly answer that she nets $500-1000 a month (because now that you know your worth you can answer the question). A traditionalist may roll their eyes or laugh and ask questions about growth and how this owner intends to drive more business to the site, etc.

But now that you know your worth you can begin to explore the power of that worth. If that same woman no longer pays daycare costs or can pay off a student loan or credit card and can contribute to a Roth IRA and her over head is less than 10% of her net because she has learned to drop ship instead of carrying a lot of inventory and she has time for yoga or walking or writing or volunteer work or whatever to fill herself up as a person, she is miles and miles ahead of any large corporation that posts a quarterly loss or even no growth.

So many women have used a model that doesn't reflect their values as WOMEN to measure their worth and contributions. I'm not quantifying the traditional model used for centuries in this country to evaluate wealth. It has a place. But I am asking women to simply set aside that model and look at the power you have to create a new model of valuation that looks more like the life you live and then embrace the power it can bring you. Why can't two value systems co-exist? But if we don't see it ourselves then no one else will either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

This is sure what I've been wrestling with. Really thought provoking. Thanks for the nudge. :)

August 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home