Saturday, August 9, 2008

{ A New Soap Box }

I've always debated how much to share on this blog about what goes on deep in my head and heart. It's a fine line, you know? Yesterday, I was listening to one of my favorite writers and activists, Gloria Steinem on public radio, KUOW "Weekdays" http://www.kuow.org/listen/ . Something in her conversation woke something up deep inside of me that has been asleep for way too long.

You see, my background isn't in finance, I am academically trained in Women Studies - particularly women's history. My journey to finance came via entrepreneurialship and realizing (with cajoling from my own accountant) that in my own business I had a talent for balancing the books and then making the numbers tell me a story.

So as I listened to Gloria and then I went out to meet clients later, I realized that so many women - some who own businesses and others who don't - ignore their money. It's astounding to me that there are still women out their that think they "don't know anything" about money. Or worse, don't WANT to know. Are you kidding me? You can go to work and supervise 7 staff members, come home and fix dinner or you can be someones mom 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with no vacation or sick days, and juggle all the play dates, doctor's appointments and preschool stuff, but you can't figure out how much money you have in the bank or if you have credit card debt? Seriously?
No. My new mission is to convince, cajole or harass women (and men) everywhere to begin a new relationship with their money. I may not know as much as Suze Orman but I know how to balance a check book! So, today begins a new direction for my little blog that only about 20 people read...we're going to make sure that we all retire with more than .10% of our annual wages in the bank and that we don't suffer in the process. What do you say? Are you with me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

$$Applause$$! I'm with you, and I agree with you, and I'll have some things to contribute, too! :)

August 9, 2008 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger FrenchGardenHouse said...

Great!! I need this, and you, Steph! (and you'd probably be surprised about how many people read your blog.:))
xo Lidy

August 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger kath@retromantic antiques said...

great Blog! I am more aware then some but trying to grow up and be more fiscally responsible with my business. Thanks for the push! k

August 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home