Monday, March 23, 2009

{ Preparing for Hiatus }

When my mom passed away suddenly three years ago, I spent an entire day in her office wading through the stacks of bank statements, trying to find all of her online accounts, in an effort to help my dad in some small way. I remember looking at my niece and saying, "I forgot how Grammy could always ignore her filing. Don't ever be like this." As I prepare my office to be closed while I'm out for a medical hiatus, I am faced with oddly familiar stacks of paper. I've always been a firm believer that no one person in any business should be irreplaceable but what happens when you are your business? I try to not have so many open projects on a client that the file(s) could not be easily passed off to another bookkeeper or accountant quickly and with as little interruption to a client as possible. Admittedly, the last week has been a wake up call. I've got a lot of open projects that would fall under "it's just easier if I do that then try to explain it". Not a good place to be. I'll be working double time this week and weekend to close those gaps and to be sure that they stay closed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home