Saturday, November 22, 2008

{ A Very Special Day }

Sunday would have been my parents 40th wedding anniversary. My mother, no doubt, would have planned something large and over the top and Dad would have gone along with her but all the while probably wishing they could just go out to dinner. Of course, we won't get to celebrate that milestone as intended with Mom now gone but I still feel that it's important to not ignore the day. My parents were a rare breed...dedicated through anything to one another, their marriage and the family they created together. I know that my parents went through hard times but never did I feel the stability of our lives was at risk. They rarely fought, at least not in a way that would be obvious to us kids. They were always a united front. It was a good example to grow up with as children and has served us well in our adult relationships. While I know Dad will be with Mom on Sunday, it will be to place fresh flowers at her crypt rather than to bring home roses for the dining room table. My heart is heavy for what is missing but forever grateful for love that remains.

1 Comments:

Blogger FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a beautiful post, Steph. Brought tears to my eyes, too. What a wonderful legacy your Mom and Dad leave you with, and what a great example of how to be parents.

November 26, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home