Tuesday, November 4, 2008

{ An Election Day Thought }

So this is way off topic for my usual blog items but last night I began to ponder the election that is happening today from a very different perspective than politics... a very personal perspective. I've never really taken time to comprehend or grasp the personal sacrifice that our political leaders make in order to serve the country. (And let's not kid ourselves, they do serve because I wouldn't want to do their jobs, would you?) Last night, in a blurb on the national news I heard that Barack Obama grandmother had lost her battle with cancer. That was followed up with a clip of him at a rally announcing her passing. I stood transfixed for several minutes after that moment aired. Having lost my own mother to cancer not quite three years ago the hours and days after her passing are still very vivid to me and I cannot imagine mere hours after hearing the news from my Dad having to get up and give a speech. It was all I could do to pack a suitcase, call and email my clients and get on a plane. But because we have the expectation that our leaders will put our needs first, Barack Obama did get up and make a speech and if John McCain had been in that situation, he would have too. If it had been any of us who had gotten that call would we have said, "oh, well, I need to get to work". I think not. Life changes in that moment and people, be they customers, colleagues or friends, simply say "we understand". But our leaders do not have that option. The country must come first. And regardless of which candidate wins today I can only marvel at the level of commitment these people have to process and vision that they hold. So the least we can do as Americans is get out and vote.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob at Kintropy said...

Hear hear! Though I admit, writing here at 10pm, I'm pretty thrilled that Obama has won the Presidency.

November 4, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home