Thursday, November 15, 2007

{ Missing My Mentor }

When my life is busiest and the most stressful (like the last couple of months) I find myself wishing I had my mentor by my side. My mother was an amazing woman. She was already a young single mom before she met dad and had me. She could have been a statisic but instead, she learned a business beginning at the receptionist's desk only to become the part owner of her own firm 20 years later. When she sold her ownership, she kept working part time, ironically as a bookkeeper. She shared with me a few years before she passed that she never liked being her own boss, the pressure was too much when other's livlihoods depended on her decisions, she preferred just going to work and doing excellent work.

As I struggle with whether or not to grow my business, to perhaps, hire in some very part time help and take on more work, I weigh my mother's thoughts carefully. It seems this year is full of lessons about juggling and balancing for me and I need to decide which turn my life will take soon. Do I build something bigger or do I streamline what is here and stay focused? I'm straddled on the teeter totter at the moment waiting for a sign, a voice. Were my mother here (and really she is), she would say to weigh all sides, make sure I can afford whichever decision I make and then trust my gut. But today is one of those days, I wish my Mom were here just to tell me what to do. This whole, grown up big girl thing is highly over-rated, really.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home