Friday, September 12, 2008

{ Practicing What I Preach }

Confession: We have already broken the eating out once a month rule by meeting friends who came in from out of town over in the Big City last night for dinner. We did pay cash (well, debit, another broken rule, but not credit at least!) and of course, nothing was local about the food. On the long drive and ferry ride home to the island, we discussed this break with commitment. Here's what we came to: life happens and this exercise in local food and financial stability is meant to enhance our lives and keep us more connected with our community. If we are so structured and rigid that we can't go meet friends who we have not seen in years for a meal than what's the point?
Observations: This week alone, I did not stop at my local coffee hut for my down fall 16 oz. vanilla steamed milk each time I was in that part of town (a savings of $7), I resisted the urge to go to our local Bistro for take out dinner on a night when nothing was defrosted and we ate 45 minutes before bedtime (a savings of $25), for the commuting half of the household, I made home made black bean, veggie and cheese burritos for this week's lunches (a savings of around $8-$10) and today I will be processing our own shredded chicken into enchilada's for both dinner tonight and lunches next week (a savings of another $8-$10)

Happy Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home