Friday, December 7, 2007

{ Keeping It Small and Keeping It Real }

This holiday season is proving to be a test of my will power. I have more income this year than last (and we're not talking huge numbers but enough to where I'm not looking in the change jar for gas money). It's proving difficult to walk my walk about keeping my holiday shopping small, meaningful and fun. I've got all the core people done and will complete wrapping and mailing for the out of town family this weekend. Now I need to decide what to do about the broad group of friends and neighbors we'll run into this season. We're not baking this year because we, ourselves, are cutting down on sugar and processed foods, and don't want to inflict that temptation on ourselves or others. I like small, consumable or useful things...candles and wine. But where do I draw the line? If it were up to me and money and time were no object, I'd give something wonderful to every person I know. I'd be like Oprah, "you like that? Oh good, because everyone's getting one!" But the lottery commission has clearly misplaced my number and in the meantime, I am on the hunt for that small, thoughtful item that will say, "happy new year, you are important to me and I wish you well" without being something someone has to find a use for or isn't so small it is offensive. I'm glad tomorrow is Market Day around here!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home