Sunday, January 18, 2009

{ A Long, Late Night of Reflection }

It's way past my bedtime but the piles of client work still cover most surfaces in my office...January is always this crazy. For my faraway late night friend (how is Hannah, tonight, Rob?) I'm listening to mix of 80's music...at the moment Joan Baez's "Biko" is playing softly in my office. Such an ironic song on the eve of such a historic moment in my own country. I recall so clearly attending rallies and writing letters and boycotting companies who refused to divest holdings in South African countries. I recall so clearly being about 11 walking to the corner store with my best friend and being stopped by an older white woman and chastised for being out in public with a black girl. What a sad day when my mom had to explain what that woman was saying to me. And now, my own niece and nephew get to live in a world where these things are history to be read about in books and no longer the norm.
Off to bed with hope on the horizon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob at Kintropy said...

I'm catching up late, late, late, but Hannah, I'm sure, was awake if I was on shift. She does have some pretty good music on her mp3 player, though. Her nighttime sleepy music starts with "Missing" just 'cause.

February 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home