Wednesday, May 28, 2008

{ Economic Slow Down or Reality Check? }

Last night when I finally sat down to catch up with the news the top three stories were about the economy, the gas prices and the housing market...all were dire. And you know what? I get that...things are not great and for some they are down right awful. And while I don't mean to diminish what this means on a day to day for people, I'm going to jump in here and stir the nest a bit.
We are a nation of over indulged, over entitled people who want what we want, right now, now matter what. Restraint and sacrafice are not part of the American narrative. The last time those two characteristics were in play was World War II. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the soapbox here. I am right down in the mud with the rest of you...clearly, read my posts about my lack of a savings account and budget busting purchases of late. I got the strong sense last night while watching report after report that we are reaping what we've sown and we're experiencing a huge "oh, crap" moment about our choices.

Break it down to the basics. Is your mortgage one you can afford on a fixed income or one income or even your current income? Gas prices are high but are you driving an SUV and only have two kids or less? I am and it hurts everytime I pull into the gas station. How many times did you stop at Starbucks this week? Or eat out? Or grab fast food? When's the last time you packed a lunch? When's the last time you had a simple supper? When's the last time you skipped the $4-$5 cereal box and made oatmeal? Yes, a loaf of bread is $4 but I made my own bread this weekend (and made triple batches that are in the freezer) for a fraction of the price...a two hour committement, big woo. How many cable channels do you have? Does your 11 year old really need a cell phone? Go through your closet and add up the clothes that never get worn.
It is times like these that make our choices so imperative. Just like when I do a budget, throw everything in the middle of the room and decide, is this NECESSARY?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home